Here is a summary of Thursday 2-20-20 yesterday’s meeting:
· Many thanks to Khepra Moscillo and The Cooperative Bank for allowing us to meet in the Community Room at the West Roxbury Branch yesterday.
· President John had sent his regrets for not being able to make the meeting and sent his greetings as well.
· John had requested that I mention the Roslindale Day Parade Annual Function scheduled for Friday May 1st at St. Nectarios Church in Roslindale. Our club traditionally purchases a table for the event. We will vote on this again in the near future. Put the event on your calendar and let us know if you would like one of the tickets.
· John had also asked for us to discuss the next Kiwanis Trivia Night. After some discussion, it was determined that an early May date would work well. We will ask John to look into booking Brannelly’s for us again. Stay tuned.
· This date is now confirmed! Our 2020 Charity Softball Game is scheduled for Tuesday June 16th (with a rain date of Wednesday June 17th). We will again be challenged by President John’s Business Connects Group. We will, of course, be playing at Jason Robert’s Field at the Ohrenberger School on West Boundary Road in West Roxbury. All proceeds will go to the Jason Robert’s Challenger League. Please consider playing in the game or just showing up to cheer us on. The cost to play will be a $25 donation per player. We are also working with Kerry O’Connor (O’Shea) to arrange for Wally the Green Monster and his sister Tessie to be available for the Jason Robert’s Challenger League opening day in April. I will keep you updated on those efforts as well.
· This date is now confirmed as well. Friday June 12th will be our 2nd Annual Kiwanis Comedy Night. Vice President Warren Frank has confirmed Comedians Mike Donovan, Tony V and Kenny Rogerson will be entertaining us that evening. The event will take place at the Elks Club in West Roxbury. Warren will be preparing a BBQ meal for us all to enjoy. I will be assisting Warren in getting members to volunteer to help out that for the event. All we will need to do is sell tickets to the event. Start spreading the word. We will let you know when tickets are available.
· Dave Peterson mentioned that we will probably be having a visit from our friends from the Allston/Brighton Kiwanis Club in the near future. Their annual Kiwanis Star Event is scheduled for Saturday April 18 at St. Joseph Prep in Brighton. Our club traditionally purchases an Ad in their program. As well a few of our members make the trip across town to see the event. Always a fun night.
· You may remember, our club was issued a $200 Grant from the Kiwanis Foundation of New England (KFNE) to Help set up a reading corner at the YMCA. Vice President Warren Frank along with current KFNE President Dave Peterson will be resurrecting their committee and getting in contact with Marion Kelly to see if we can put this money to work. Marybeth Pavilonis volunteered to help Warren and Dave in their efforts.
· In Ken Cunningham’s absence, Mark Fishbon volunteered yesterday’s Ken Cunningham Word of the Day which was “EFFLORESCE” which of course means to “Blossom” or to “Lose Moisture and turn to a Fine Powder on Exposure to Air”….I just type these folks.
· For information on upcoming events and helpful links, please log onto our Web-Site at www.kiwanisboston.org.
I believe that is all for now.